Thursday, March 15, 2018

Workshops Part 2 (Make them laugh, Make them cry)

Hey everyone!!!

I'm back for another workshop edition of my blog, today on this amazing edition, another workshop by a man named Dave Davis.

Mr.Davis is a teacher at a Nashville university, he traveled around the country for many student competitions and had worked for news stations before teaching.

Anyways, he talked about how to develop a character and what kind of shots to use to really reach out to the audience and make them care about them, the  kind of music to use, shot composition, things like that. I thought we could use it in out opening because we want you to care about this guy who went through such a hard time in his struggle against the law.

He also taught me how to portray people in certain situations, how to ease them into a sad situation, naming it, "high point, low point" where you bring your audience into a really high happy point, then to later hit them with the sad part, to use supporting shots and sound bites.

He also taught how to use comedy in certain styles, using a video example from his students , he very quickly analyzed how to make a moment funny, whether it be pauses, delivery, silence, and how to not make your joke fall flat. Although we probably won't be using comedy in our film opening, (because I probably won't be allowed to, as its very strict what I get to voice my opinion on) I think its a good tactic of deception to put your viewer in a good state of mind then dropping them into sadness.

I think it'll help us to take multiple tips from this guy because he's definitely done many developmental stories before, where he builds up characters with carefully woven stories, and it will do us good to take a page from his book!




I'm Gonna Be King Of The Pirates
-Geo

No comments:

Post a Comment